Our mission: Climate Buddies is a non-profit that wants to empower people to include climate change considerations into every decision they make. We focus on live interaction with groups of people, for-profits, spiritual groups, public and academia. We focus on people, inspiration, guidance and are result driven. Anyone who wants to start to integrate climate considerations in decision making is welcome to join us or invite us for collaboration.
Our invitation to you: meeting the global energy and climate challenges
- If you could work on meeting the greatest challenge humankind has ever faced, would you?
- Would it surprise you to know that the climate and oceanic systems have been so perturbed by the massive burning of fossil fuels that the very continuation of human civilization is threatened?
- Do you yearn to be able to say to your grandchildren, and theirs – and everyone else’s – that you did your part to leave the earth in a healthier condition than when you were born into it?
- Many suspect that the time left to return the earth to a healthy, resilient condition capable of sustaining human civilization is short. The climate recovery challenge is in fact an energy issue, a challenge to increase both the energy available to power essential services and to make affordable, renewable energy accessible to all.
- We must and can increase the supply of energy available while reducing the total greenhouse gas emissions associated with energy generation to near-zero rates.
Understanding these premises, we must have the courage to yearn for a credible possibility that each of us, and billions of others like us from all over the world, will become true caretakers for the earth – our planet that has given life to our kind; the creation which protects and nourishes us even in its injured state.
We believe in a world where if we take care of the earth, we can take care of the people. The economy is facilitating in this, not the starting point, just the result.
Interfaith action in Central Texas
Central Texas based churches and Congregations are invited to participate in a first step towards becoming Climate Positive. Together with the Interfaith Environmental Network (IEN) Energy Action Team we have put out a call to you to participate in a benchmark program to start to monitor your Climate Impact. If you are interested in participating, please read the following document: A Free Climate Impact Audit of Your Congregation. Read more about this program >>
We are developing a program for individuals and households “how to lose 5000 pounds in 30 days”. We are starting pilots with groups of 10-12 people this fall and go live in 2013. If you want to be involved, be a group leader (Climate Buddy Catalyst), start a group of friends or neighbors, or just stay in the loop, let us know via email@example.com . Read more about this program >>
Organizing for a Texas Climate Alliance
We are developing an alliance of Austin and Texas organizations and businesses that have dedicated programs for climate change. The purpose of this alliance is to:
- Understand how large the local climate change movement has grown.
- Develop camaraderie among the people and organizations.
- Share information, resources, skills and programmatic synergy.
- Project a larger footprint for specific climate change causes we favor.
2013 will be an organizing year where we will grow our impact and influence by leveraging each other’s strong competences. Read more here >>
Focusing the Austin economy on Energy Efficiency
We believe that 30% of all our current energy use can be met through energy efficiency with programs that are cost effective and have low risk. The programs would not put money in subsidizing energy for low income families, but invest money in houses to lower the bills. They would be based on attracting third party financing to get over the initial investment and turn energy efficiency into a resource instead of an expenditure.
Exploring the possibilities for community wind and solar projects
We are exploring models to develop the first community wind project in Texas where individuals can invest money in the energy economy of the future and make a return on investment. There are many initiatives in Europe that are based on crowd-sourced funding that can serve as a template. We want you to be able to put your money where we need to be going and open up this new source of renewable energy funding for people like you and me. Check back with us soon for more information.
For those who are ready to hope and to implement action initiatives, we invite you to join us in helping to lead on climate solutions. A lot of work will be involved, as will a lot of joy. That’s right: It’s serious business, but as long as it is joyful and fulfilling in the doing, a lot of people all over the world will want to get in on it!